Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Light Speed

I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine back in the summer of 2014. I had originally entered BYU as a genetics and biotechnology major, but took a slight detour away from the hard sciences.  However, after watching Drs Grey and McDreamy for several hours, and reevaluating my life goals, I realized that I wasn't going in the right direction.  I didn't make any changes for about a year -- choosing instead to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints. I spent about 10 months in Mexico, before being sent home for various reasons.  While in Mexico, I had several experiences that made me even more interested in pursuing medicine, and specifically neurosurgery.

That first year after deciding to change the course of my life seemed to move at a snail's pace.  I knew what I wanted to do, but couldn't really do anything other than make plans and goals.  Now that I'm back in the States though, I feel as though life is moving at light-speed, and I barely get a chance to catch my breath before I'm moving on to the next thing.

For example -- let me tell you about my day yesterday.  Yesterday, I woke up at about 7:00, and hit the snooze button until I had about five minutes to get up, get dressed, and head to my first class of the day.  First class on Tuesday's is Physics 106.  Right now we're learning about circuits, and so we went over Kirchoff's rules.  Five minute break, and then I was heading to work in the research lab.  From the moment I walked through the door, I was busy -- pour gel, pipette practice, refill TAE buffer, get gel ready to run, leave.  I was there for an hour, but it felt like 5 minutes.

Next - -work.  I work at BYU broadcasting in Master Control.  I clocked in, started the recordings, prep, other recording, prep, one more, leave at 3.  Go home, grab my dissection kit, head back to campus, eat, get clarification on MMBIO 240 homework, study for dissection test, take the test ( I passed, 96%), dissect for an hour, head home.  Go over to friends apartment, do MMBIO reading, start physics homework, finally relax.  Or...not.

We watched an episode of Chuck, then found out that a mutual friend, who'd been down in Provo for the day, had attempted suicide.  We took her to the hospital, and were there for about an hour and a half. He stayed with her, I left and tried to get enough sleep before waking up at seven again.

Now...today.  I haven't even really had time to process what happened last night.  I got up, and have been busy every minute, and won't get a break til midnight.  How am I supposed to process that someone I know wanted to die last night??? I've had friends who's friends have attempted suicide, but I've never actually been in the thick of things.  I have to accept that it happened, I did what I could, and she's in better hands now, with people who can help her.  I hope she comes to realize that life is absolutely worth living, and doesn't attempt this again.

So yes --  my life is moving at light speed.  The days pass by, and I feel like one week has scarcely begun before it's time for the next one.  Still -- I wouldn't change a thing.  The more I learn, the more I see, the more I know that this is absolutely what I want to do.

Now -- does anyone know where I can get a spare hyperdrive in case this one doesn't survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment