Hey there!
So, as you might be able to guess from the title, this was a pretty dang good week. It's kinda funny, because I wasn't really looking forward to this week at all. I was assigned to shadow palliative care, which I have no interest in, I was jealous of the person who got to shadow surgery, and I was worried that at the end of the week I wouldn't get good/enough hours in the scheduling meeting. Needless to say, I shouldn't have worried. :P
Last week, I e-mailed Alba and Diego, our coordinators here, to see if I could shadow surgery for even one day this week. They said they'd ask, but by Monday I still hadn't heard anything. Turns out that they asked the chief of surgery that day, and he said I could shadow not one, but TWO days!! Cue happiness. :) Plus, shadowing on Monday wasn't even that bad. I was supposed to be in Palliative care and Megan was supposed to be in Oncology, but I think we inadvertently switched doctors, so I ended up going on rounds with the Oncology residents. Super interesting. :)
Tuesday was hair as interesting, although there were a couple of patients that were clearly nearing the end of their life, so that was hard to see. Like I said on Facebook that day though, I know they're going to a better place, and will have a chance to be resurrected and live again without all that pain and suffering. :) Tuesday was also awesome because in the afternoon I got an e-mail from my professor for Neuro 205, saying that a TA position had opened up. I'd been trying to figure out how on earth I was going to fulfil the leadership experience requirement for med school, so this kinda felt like an answer to prayers. :)
Wednesday was just amazing!!! Every week we have a full day excursion, and this time we went to the Cies Islands. Soooo pretty!! Apparently one of the beaches was named 'best beach in the world' a few years ago. :) I loved it- the water was gorgeous (although quite cold), the views were spectacular... I just wish we could've had more time!!!
Thursday was probably my favorite day this week, except maybe Wednesday... I think they may tie. :P anyway- I woke up around 7:00, and quickly got ready to head to the hospital with Alice (the person in surgery this week). We got there and got to be in a meeting where the doctors reviewed all the surgical patients, and then we each got asks fend a doctor to follow. I got to follow Reuben, and watch a tumor resection. The tumor had invaded a kidney, the adrenal glands, and a few other structures- and was massive! I wish I could post the pictures I took... (But I won't. :D ). Anyway- it was awesome. Then, when I got back, I saw an email from the Neuro 205 professor saying that he had narrowed the list down to seven people and wanted some additional information. I responded to that, and about two hours later got an email saying that he thought I was the best one for the position. So happy!!! Then, we had an amazing group dinner. :) overall, it was just an amazing day!!! :D
Friday was cool too.. I got to watch a surgery where they removed part of the large intestine that was infected with diverticulitis, then watch a thyroidectomy, and catch the last end of a hernia repair. :) That night we had dinner at a DELICIOUS Italian restaurant close to the hotel. So good!!! :)
Not much to tell from yesterday... I mostly just relaxed. :) I also had my scheduling meeting, and ended up getting perfect shifts, :) Now I just need to get them covered for next week... :P anyway- this week was awesome! This afternoon we get to visit Allariz, and I'm super excited. :) I'll probably post about that next week once I get back. :) I can't believe I only have one more week left' :'( the time has gone by so fast! I'll miss Europe/Spain, but I'm excited to start classes again!
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment