Friday, June 3, 2016

Summer Camp!



Hey there!

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks! A lot has gone on since I last posted!

First...We went to Odessa!  It was fantastic!!! We spent most of the time at the beach, and I definitely got sunburned!  I also got to hold a jellyfish! It was awesome! :D :D I have lots of pics. :D




This is from the fountain in front of the opera house. :) I thought i had a good pic from the front, but maybe not. :) 
I don't remember the significance, but it's cool, and you can see the black sea if you go closer. :) 
kitty!! 
I climbed a tree. :P 




Black sea!!


Once we got back from Odessa, we spent the week getting ready for the end-of school parties.  It was super fun!  We made great decorations! 

Katya coloring.  She's one of the preschoolers I taught. :) 


On Tuesday (I think....) we went to the botanical gardens. :) 

Thursday I was going to go to the temple, but plans changed so I organized our supply cupboard. :) 


Party with the Follow-Up 3 kids!! 


Misha and Sofia.  They're so great!  They're in my group at summer camp right now, and I'm so excited! 

Party on Friday with the KG and Follow-Up 1 kids. :D 


Duck duck goose. :)  Aka "pencil, banana, socks, macaroni princess, etc, goose. " But hey - as long as they're building vocabulary, anything's fine by me. :)


On our last outing with Kate, we went to Souvenir Street, and saw St.  Andrew's Cathedral.  We couldn't go in, but we got some great pics! 


Landscape Alley! 




The theme of Landscape alley seemed to be Alice in Wonderland...so I got a pic with the Cheshire cat. :P 


 

On Sunday some of the senior missionaries invited us over for dinner.  We took the opportunity to take a group photo. Minus Raisy , Genesis, and Skylor. :P (Left to right, back to front: Kate, Cathryn, Annie, Camilla, Danielle, Danica, Lauren, Paige, Paige, Alexis, me; yes there are two Paiges).




Boyarka!!!

Sunday morning, before church, I left Luda's and went to the Lady's school in Boyarka where we'll be staying for the summer camp.  I was a little sad to leave Luda, but also excited to start a new adventure. :P 

I got there around 8:30, left my bags, went to church, we all had lunch, and then me, the Paiges, and Alexis came back to Boyarka and unpacked.  Olia talked with us a little bit about what to expect, we planned our lessons, and since by then it was around 11:00, went to sleep. :) 

The next morning we chilled, and got our lesson materials ready.  Then it was time to teach.  The night before, Olia warned us that Monday and Tuesday would be the hardest days, since four teachers weren't coming til Wednesday.  I knew it would be different than what I was used to, but I didn't really believe her.  

Ha. 

I should've.  The kids were crazy,  somethings didn't go as planned...and then we heard that some parents had complained about how we did things, so we had to come up with a new schedule for Tuesday: 


I know these are the same picture....just pretend that one's for the afternoon instead of morning. :P 



So yeah...technically we ended up only teaching for 6 hours each, but it felt like we taught the whole 8. I think we were all relieved when it was over -- especially since we got pizza afterwards. :P  It was worth it. :P 

That night the other girls got to Boyarka, which was awesome... my vacation group started buying flights, and it was great!  A little stressful because I had to change some of my plans for the end of ILP, but we figured it all out.  Shout out to Annie for helping with that. :P 

Anyway....since then it's been relatively calm.  It's a lot different than the first six weeks - we all live together, we teach like 40 kids a day instead of only 10, and since I'm with the older kids I have to put a lot more effort into my lessons, but it's great! I love the kids so much! 

I also just had the random thought to give an example of a typical day, so here goes... :P

7:00-7:30 -- wake up, on my own, or with an alarm, or because music starts playing outside the window. :P Shower

7:30-8:00 Read scriptures, etc. 

8:00-9:30 prep for lesson/chill

9:30 Breakfast

10:00 Lessons start

10:05 - -Home group.  Today, we were making a support system out of paper and string, with the goal of supporting my laptop.  My home group only got through part of the steps. 

10:45 -- rotate.  Today, the next group finished all the pieces of the support system, and started sticking them together. 


11:20 -- rotate.  The third group got the basic structure finished, except for the diagonal supports.  The structure wasn't strong enough yet. 

11:55 -- rotate -- this group finished it.  Sonya was the one who mainly worked on making the diagonal supports.  It didn't really support it...it slightly collapsed -- but in the slightly collapsed position it was able to support my computer.  :) Don't worry mom and dad -- I made sure my computer stayed safe through the whole process. :D 

12:30  -- WE could've started the process over with this group, but it would've been kinda pointless.  So I explained what it was, and we played games. :)

13:05 -- Sorry...Ukraine uses 24 hour time. :) My home group came back.  We worked on our presentation for national Friendship day next week. :) 

13:45 -- all groups meet in the main hall; we practiced our drill dance. :) 

2:00 -- Lunch.

2:00-6:00.  Free time.  We chilled for a bit, went to the store down the street, and then did some zumba. It was great!

6:00 Dinner!

7:00-8:00 some activity...tonight it's going to be a dance competition, and we get to be the judges. :D 

8:00-9:00 - disco dance!  Every night!  It's super fun! 

9:00-bedtime.  Chill, make lesson plans, etc. :) 

So yeah -- it's a busy schedule, but I love it. :D :D I love working with the older kids...they speak pretty good English, and are super fun to teach. I shouldn't have favorites, but....Kuzma, Margo, Marta, Misha, Sofia, Roman, and Paolo are awesome. :P Just saying. :D (the last four are in my home group; Kuzma is the smartest kid ever -- he must read a lot; Margo and Marta are always super happy and sociable -- Margo especially loves talking to us). 

So yeah -- that's a day at summer camp.  It reminds me of girl's camp kinda, except now we're the ones in charge of activities. Kinda crazy.  Makes me really appreciate all the time and effort the YW leader's put into planning all the camp activities. :) it's harder than it seems. :) 

Thanks for sticking to the end of this long post! Remember, you all are awesome! :D 




No comments:

Post a Comment