Tuesday, April 19, 2016

European Adventures: Background

Hey there!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - -I've been super busy!  I ended up taking my finals a week early, and now I'm in Ukraine, and have been since Friday. :)


Back in July or August of last year, I was on Facebook when I came across an ad for the International Language Program. They go to several different countries, and teach English in all except Romania.  Even though it costs about twice as much to go to Romania, I originally wanted to go there.  I sent in my application, and was accepted.  I was super excited about the opportunity to go; then in January I came across another program called the Atlantis Project, which allows pre-med students the opportunity to go overseas and shadow doctors.  As I am a premed student, it immediately piqued my interest.  I applied, and got accepted to go to Ourense, Spain.

Then came the hard part -- how to pay for it all.

I had already payed for Romania, and thus I knew that I would definitely participate in the International Language Program(ILP)  However, I reeeeeeally wanted to go to Spain as well.  I was brainstorming ideas, and decided to both start a Go Fund Me, and switch to a cheaper ILP country.  I called, and they told me I could switch to the Kiev, Ukraine program -- but I'd leave three and a half weeks later.  I knew that this would mean that I'd be taking my finals early, but I didn't care.  This was the answer I was looking for.

I still wasn't quite sure, but I talked to all of my teachers; they said I could take my finals early; I explored the pros and cons.  However, it wasn't until dissection, when one of my best friends suggested that I just stay in Europe during my time between programs, that I decided to take the leap of faith and officially change programs.

From there, miracles just started happening.  I was able to raise more money than I ever dreamed was possible; I was able to find time to both study for finals and stay caught up in classes, and everything ended up working out!  I finished my finals on April 13th, went home, packed, drove back to my parents house in Bountiful, and left for Kiev the next morning.  From there, the adventures started, and haven't ended. :P  But more on that tomorrow. :)  Right now, I should go to sleep... It's nearly midnight in Ukraine. :)

Spkoyno Nochi! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment